A. COURSE DESCRIPTION
With the growing demand for qualified and well trained drivers, CVTC has developed a comprehensive program to train and educate
students. Training consists of online and classroom instruction, demonstrations, hands-on basic maintenance, off road maneuvers and
B. METHOD OF INSTRUCTION
Student is given FMCSA materials for review. Student is assigned online lessons to begin coursework. There will be one-on-one
instruction, handouts both in classroom and in driving yard.
C. COURSE OBJECTIVES
1. The students will be competent in filling out and maintaining Driver’s Log records, doing pre-trip vehicle inspections, coupling
and uncoupling combination vehicles, backing and driving through basic skill maneuvers.
2. Students will have driven, on the road, in a variety of different tractor/trailer combinations, and have developed proficient skills.
3. At the completion of the 170-hour program, the student will have already taken their State Driving final examination. And be
issued an OTR 170 Hour Training Certification.
4. Includes 115 hours of online/lab courses, 21.8 hours of instructor lead pre-trip inspections, 33 hours behind the wheel.
D. COURSE TOPICS/UNITS AND DATES
Introduction to Commercial Driving: Classroom and 64 online instruction courses that includes, commercial motor vehicle
driving basics defensive driving, logbook and hours of service, general knowledge, air-brake systems, combination
vehicle, Hazmat, vehicle inspection, tanker/ doubles/ triples, vehicle familiarization, coupling and uncoupling and backing.
Courses that meet the upcoming ELDT mandate.
*After online courses are complete BTW activity begins*
Lab/Observation: This portion of the program consists of hand on training of logbook and hours of service, vehicle pre-trip
inspections, coupling and uncoupling and demonstrations of all skill maneuvers, backing and going forward.
Basic Yard Maneuvers: Yard and range work is designed to allow students to develop their driving skills in a controlled
environment. In preparation for their State skills test includes backing & pre-trip.
Basic Road Driving: The over-the-road driving portion of the program consists of training on all types of roads: city,
county, state and interstate highways. This will allow our students to get valuable experience in handling a tractor-trailer
in all types of traffic situations
E. TEXTBOOK(S) AND REQUIRED TOOLS OR SUPPLIES
1. Colorado CDL Manual: AAMVA
2. Online Theory: Instructiontech.com, Pro-Tread
3. Log Books: FMCSA
4. Gloves, Tire gauges, flash lights.
5. Tractor Trailer